American cooks, please taste as you go; some amounts in this recipe have been translated from the metric system to ours.
|Ruth Pretty's Roasted Mushroom Pie|
Ruth Pretty's Roasted Mushroom and Lemon Thyme PieServes 6
8 Portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
28-32 Swiss Brown mushrooms, thickly sliced
24-28 white small button mushrooms, halved
1/2 cup olive oil
4 TBS. (1/4 cup) finely chopped lemon thyme leaves
flaky sea salt and ground black pepper
flour for rolling pastry
1 pound to 18 oz. puff pastry, the most buttery version you can buy
1/2 cup cream cheese, diced
4 TBS. finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 TBS lemon juice, finely grated zest of one lemon
3 spring onions, white parts roughly chopped
1 egg, separated
shaved Parmesan to garnish (optional)
• Pre-heat oven to 400-degree (F)
• Toss mushrooms in olive oil and thyme. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and place on a low sided baking tray. Place in oven and roast for 8-10 minutes until mushrooms are soft and juicy. Drain the cooking juices (discard or save for another use) and cool mushrooms. Taste for seasoning.
• Very lightly sprinkle flour onto pastry bench and roll out pastry to a 18-20-inch round. Place round onto a low sided baking tray and place into refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
• Place cream cheese, Parmesan, egg, lemon juice, zest and spring onions into a bowl and using a wooden spoon combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Spread cream cheese mixture onto the center of the pastry round leaving an 3/8-inch border. Pile roasted mushrooms on top of the cream cheese mixture.
• Place egg white in a bowl and loosen with a fork. Brush egg white around pastry border and fold pastry, pleating as you go, to partially cover the mushrooms.
• Rest pie for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, or overnight.
• Whisk the egg yolk with a tablespoon of water to make an egg wash. Brush outside of the galette with egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
• Serve hot, warm or cold. If you wish garnish with shaved Parmesan.